Elections will be online November 4, 2014. Voting will open at 9:00 a.m. and run through midnight on November 4, 2014. The link for voting will be shared via:
- Tyler’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts
- E-mails to faculty, staff and students
One vote per person, please. Results will be announced at 9:00 a.m. on November 5, 2014.
The Campaign for Tyler’s New Mascot
The race is on for John Tyler Community College’s new mascot! Campaign for your favorite finalist, and watch for more details on the November 4 election.
Trailblazers create new paths and boldly move forward. Horses are powerful, intelligent and kind creatures that have played a vital role in our local history, and they were a popular mascot suggestion.
What’s a teal? Well, it’s a duck, but not an ordinary duck. Teals have burgundy heads with very dramatic teal bands of color that originate from behind the eyes and move down the nape of their necks. Bands of the same vibrant green can also be found on the birds’ wings. Teals “winter” in our local area, and they are extremely fast and resilient.
A torrent is a strong, fast-moving stream of water that is always moving toward something bigger. As a region that loves our rivers, creeks and streams, the Tyler Torrents seemed like a natural pick as a finalist.
Campaign for Your Favorite
Have fun with the campaign! Clubs, endorse a candidate. Film students, make a campaign commercial. Take selfies, make fliers and wear a button (available at upcoming College events) promoting your favorite candidate. Whatever you do share it using #tylermascot. The most creative and popular posts will be rewarded with a T-shirt featuring the new mascot at the end of the Fall 2014 semester.
How did we pick the finalists?
Last spring, we asked for mascot suggestions from the College community based on these qualifications. The mascot should:
- Engender pride and affection for John Tyler Community College
- Have a connection to the unique personality of the College
- Be compatible with the Tyler logo and color palette, supporting marketing and communications
The ideas submitted ranged from horses and dogs to knights and isopods. The Creative Services team at the College compiled the suggestions, looked for common themes and ideas, researched duplication with other local schools, and selected the three finalists.
Now, we want to know which candidate is your favorite!
Use #tylermascot on:
And, watch this space for more details on the November 4 election.
Tyler Mascot Selfie Contest
- Follow us (@johntylercc) on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, and watch for photo shares.
- Upload your photos using the hashtag #tylermascot. Please note: We can’t see your photos if your account is private.
- Have fun! We’re looking for the most unique photos from the campaign trail. We want to see how you champion your favorite finalist.
- Contest runs October 13 through November 9. Winners will be announced the week of November 10 at www.jtcc.edu/mascot. T-shirts will be awarded to each winner in December– hot off the presses and with the new Tyler mascot.
- By submitting photos, you agree to give John Tyler Community College permission to publish the photos on any of the College’s websites or to use in print, electronic and video promotional material.
- Each contest participant is responsible for obtaining permission of every recognizable person featured in your entry.
- By entering this contest, you acknowledge that this contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Information Maintained by:
Heather Busch, Creative Services Manager