Posted on April 08, 2013
by Holly Walker
Did you know that if you live in Amelia, Dinwiddie or Sussex counties, then you might be eligible to receive tuition assistance? Thanks to a grant from the Virginia Tobacco Indemnification and Community Revitalization Commission (TICRC), the John Tyler Community College Foundation was able to create a scholarship program for students from Amelia, Dinwiddie and Sussex that will pay for tuition and fees not covered by financial aid.
Scholarships are awarded each semester and are available to full- and part-time students. To be considered for a TICRC scholarship, you must:
- Reside in Amelia, Dinwiddie or Sussex counties
- Be a student at John Tyler Community College. If you are not already a student, you may apply by visiting www.jtcc.edu, and clicking “Apply Now”
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and qualify for financial aid
- Be enrolled in or plan to enroll in a certificate or degree program at John Tyler (preference is given to those enrolled in programs tied to science, technology, engineering and mathematics – also known as STEM – and to those enrolled in health care programs)
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress if you are a recipient of a TICRC scholarship award
Students do not need to fill out a scholarship application to be considered for TICRC funds, and there is no deadline to apply. Students or potential students who are interested in learning more about the TICRC scholarships should contact the JTCC Foundation at 804-594-1574 or email@example.com.
The Virginia Tobacco Indemnification and Community Revitalization Commission was created by the Virginia General Assembly in 1999 with funds from the national tobacco settlement. The commission’s mission is to promote economic growth and development in tobacco-dependent communities, so the commission only funds projects in Virginia’s tobacco region. The counties of Amelia, Dinwiddie and Sussex are the only localities in John Tyler Community College’s service area that are part of the tobacco region.
Information Maintained by:
Holly Walker, Public Relations Manager