Graduates with certificates in building construction will be able to:
- evaluate a building design using building codes and zoning regulations;
- perform basic surveying operations;
- perform tests on materials such as concrete, metals and wood; and
- produce a representative set of working drawings for a small building using computer-aided drafting software.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students must also complete placements tests (or equivalent) in English and mathematics, and scores will be used for appropriate course placement. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should see a counselor and returning students their advisor for more information.
|1st Semester||Credits||Standard Course Options|
|ARC 121 Architectural Drafting I||3|
|ARC 221 Architectural CAD Applications Software I||3|
|CIV 171 Surveying I||3||GIS 101|
|MTH 103 Applied Technical Mathematics I||3||MTH 115, MTH 163, MTH 273|
|SDV 100 College Success Skills||1|
|Technical Elective||3||See Note 1.|
|2nd Semester||Credits||Standard Course Options|
|ARC 122 Architectural Drafting II||3|
|ARC 246 Materials and Methods of Construction||4|
|ARC 258 Building Codes, Contract Documents and Professional Office Practices||3|
|ENG 111 College Composition I||3|
|Health/Physical Education Elective||2|
|Total Credits For Program||31|
Notes and Additional Curriculum Options
- The technical elective requirement can be satisfied by courses with the following prefixes: AIR, ARC, CAD, ELE, EGR, IND, MAC, MEC or WEL.
- Part-time students should consult their faculty advisors regarding appropriate course sequences.
For additional information on this program, please contact the Division of Engineering, Business and Public Services: 804-706-5121 (Chester) or 804-594-1480 (Midlothian).
2013-2014 College Catalog