Through Summer 2014, Developmental Math courses at John Tyler are offered as MTT. Starting in Fall 2014, all Developmental Math courses are offered as Math Essentials (MTE) – a course structure that allows you to test out of material you already know. Course material is divided into nine separate units, referred to as Modules, and students can work in Math Labs on campus to complete their work.
A student who believes they have met the prerequisite and is having difficulty enrolling in any MTE Module should send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: (1) their VCCS e-mail account, (2) their student ID#, and (3) the course information, including section number and 5-digit class number. The Admissions and Records staff will then assist them.
Math Lab Locations and Hours
You must arrive 90 minutes before closing to take a PreTest or PostTest, and you must bring a picture ID. For the PostTest, you must also bring your completed Module Notes.
Effective August 25 - September 22, 2014
Open Testing Days ........... Monday, August 11, and Friday, August 22
There will be Open Testing Days for JTCC students who need to complete Developmental Math Modules as prerequisites for college-level math courses. Open Testing Days give JTCC students the opportunity to take a mastery test on a specific Module without being enrolled in an MTT or MTE course. Successful completion of a mastery test will award the student credit for that Module, thus reducing the number of required Developmental Math credits. (Note: Successful completion of a mastery test during Open Testing Days will have no effect on a student’s grade in a current or future MTT or MTE course.)
You must enter your myTyler username and password to register for Open Testing Days.
Learn more about Developmental Math:
- Developmental Math Fall 2014. Choose your format of ppt or video.
- 5-minute video on How To Register for Your MTE Course by Session (watch PPT above first)
- 2-minute video IF the student took the VPT and is program placed - What Modules The Student Has Satisfied
- Master Developmental Math Faster flyer
- Prepare to take the VPT using MyMathTest.com.
- JTCC Math Lab web site - Under construction for Fall 2014
- VPT MathSite - This web site provides free, supplemental online resources to help prepare for the Virginia Placement Test - Math.
- VPT Practice Questions and Answers – Remember calculators are not allowed for Module 1. Graphing calculators are not allowed for any part of the test.