Associate of Science (AS)
Transfer degrees for accepting institutions
= Transfer degrees for accepting institutions, see www.jtcc.edu/transfer
The associate of science curriculum in engineering is designed for students who plan to transfer to four-year colleges or universities to complete baccalaureate degree programs in engineering. Course options exist to prepare students for majoring in mechanical, chemical, computer, and electrical engineering.
Program Requirements and Special Conditions
Students must meet JTCC admission requirements. Students must also complete placement tests (or equivalent) in English and mathematics, and scores will be used for appropriate course placement. If students have deficiencies in English and/or mathematics, JTCC offers developmental and prerequisite courses to prepare students for the curriculum. New students should see a counselor and returning students their advisor for more information.
Printable Advising Sheet
- MTH 163 is co-requisite for EGR 120.
- The social/behavioral sciences elective requirement can be satisfied by courses with the following prefixes: ECO, GEO, PLS, HIS, PSY (except PSY 100), and SOC.
- The humanities elective requirement must be satisfied by completing one 3-credit conceptual humanities course that offers breadth of knowledge. Additional humanities electives may be conceptual or applied with a focus on skills, techniques and procedures. See website (http://www.jtcc.edu/humanitieselectives) for a list of approved conceptual and applied humanities electives.
- Students are encouraged to consult their faculty advisors or transfer colleges for advice regarding the selection of electives and other requirements specific to the engineering programs at the institutions where they plan to transfer.
- Transfer Articulation Agreement with the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at the University of Virginia. Graduates of this program with 3.4 GPAs will meet the transfer requirements to U.Va. and may pursue their bachelor degrees in engineering by attending classes in Charlottesville. JTCC graduates with GPAs of less than 3.5 may seek admission to the U.Va. portion of the program in the same manner as all other students wishing to enter U.Va. degree programs.
- Pre-requisite for EGR 270 is EGR 126. Pre-requisite and co-requisite course information for the Electrical or Computer Engineering focus: EGR 251 and EGR 255 must be taken together; pre-requisites for EGR 251-255 are MTH 173 and EGR 124, co-requisite course is PHY 242. EGR 252 and EGR 2** must be taken together; pre-requisites for EGR 252-2** are EGR 251 & EGR 255. Pre-requisites for EGR 261 are EGR 251, EGR 126 and MTH 279.
- EGR 120 is a prerequisite for EGR 140. MTH 173 is a co-requisite for EGR 140
- EGR 140 is a prerequisite for EGR 246. MTH 174 is a co-requisite for EGR 246.
- EGR 140, MTH 174, and PHY 241 are prerequisites for EGR 245.
- EGR 252+Lab and EGR 261+Lab are all recommended for seamless transfer into third year status.
- Track Courses in recommended order: (EGR 248 can be taken out of order.)
2016-2017 College Catalog & Student Handbook