It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Eligibility and Awarding Process

Determining Eligibility

All qualified students are eligible for some type of aid. A qualified student is one who meets all the academic and enrollment criteria. Aid amounts are determined by financial need, enrollment status and availability of aid.

To be eligible for aid, you must:

  • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal Application. You can submit the form online or pick up a paper copy in the Financial Aid Office.
  • Be a United States citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  • Be admitted to or enrolled in an eligible major at the College.
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by the College.
  • Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan.

Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

A federally mandated formula calculates the expected family contribution from information on your FAFSA, such as taxed and untaxed income, family size, number of dependents in college, savings and investments. The expected family contribution is always computed from a base-year income. If there has been a significant change in your family's income or resources since the base calendar year, you can complete a financial aid appeal for a possible adjustment to your expected family contribution.

Cost of Education

When computing financial aid eligibility, the first figure used in the equation is the cost of education. The Financial Aid Office determines the estimated amount it will cost you to attend the College for a standard academic year (see standard COA detailed below). You should determine your own approximate cost of education based on your program of study. The tuition and fees page can be used a guide for this purpose.

The cost of education consists of 'direct' and 'indirect' expenses. Direct educational expenses are tuition, fees, books and supplies. Indirect educational expenses are projected living expenses (including transportation) and child care.

Tuition and fees are based upon the factors below.

  • Domicile (in-state or out-of-state)
  • Enrollment period (academic year or semester)
  • Enrollment level (full-time, part-time)

The average book and supply allowance is based on national survey estimates. Based on full-time enrollment, a minimum $500 per semester allowance is budgeted for books and supplies.

The Financial Aid Office calculates your cost of attendance and subtracts the amount you and your family are expected to contribute (as determined by FAFSA) toward that cost. If there is anything left over, you are considered to have financial need.

2015/2016 Cost of Attendance (COA)
In-State Budget (Living W/O Parents)

Tuition & Fees $3,775
Books $1,328
Personal $2,210
Transportation $1,735
Room & Board $7,705
TOTAL $16,735
Cost of attendance (COA)
- 3,000
Expected Family Contribution (EFC)

= $13,753
Financial Need

Enrollment Status

John Tyler calculates financial aid eligibility based on the number of credits in which you enroll. Calculations are based on the following guidelines:

Full-time 3/4 Time 1/2 Time Less than 1/2 Time
12 or more credit hours 9-11 credit hours 6-8 credit hours 1-5 credit hours

When financial aid awards are not enough to satisfy the balance due on your student account, you must pay the remaining amount with personal funds by the deadlines outlined on You may also sign up for the Tuition Payment Plan to help pay your educational expenses. The plan is administered by an outside company, and it allows students to pay tuition in monthly, interest-free payments for a small, non-refundable fee.

Dropping vs. Withdrawing

During the add/drop period of the semester, you will drop a class by filling out the proper paperwork in the Admissions and Records Office or on our website using myTyler. Dropped classes never show up on your record; you do not pay for them, and we do not count them toward your enrollment status. Your aid will most likely be reduced if you drop a class. After the end of the add/drop period, it is considered a withdrawal from a class. Withdrawals can only be executed in the Admissions and Records Office. The withdrawal stays on your record; we do count it toward your enrollment status, and you may owe funds to the federal government and/or the College if you withdraw from all courses. Students who withdraw frequently run the risk of losing their eligibility in the future.

Total Withdrawal and Return of Federal Financial Aid

If you withdraw from or stop attending all classes after the end of the add/drop period but before the 60% point of the semester (last day to withdraw without academic penalty) has passed, you will have to repay a portion of your aid that was disbursed. The longer you attend, the less you might owe. Stick with it as long as possible.

Federal and state law requires us to return part of your financial aid if you withdraw from or stop attending all classes before the 60% point of the semester has passed. You will have to repay part of your financial aid that is deemed “unearned” by the U.S. Department of Education. The specified percentage of funds you are financially liable to return is based on your last date of attendance for that particular semester.

A school is required to return Title IV funds to the programs from which the student received aid during the payment period or period of enrollment as applicable, in the following order, up to the net amount disbursed from each source:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Loans (other than Direct PLUS Loans)
  • Subsidized Direct Loans
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Direct PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants for which a Return is required
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) for which a return of funds is required
  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant, for which a Return is required

If you do not repay the portion of financial aid funds for which you are responsible, you may be reported to the federal government, thus becoming ineligible for future financial assistance at any college or university in the United States.

This applies to all students who receive a Federal & State aid (i.e. Pell Grant, SEOG, ACG, COMA, VGAP, Foster Care and/or a Federal Stafford Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) and who withdraw from or stop attending all classes. Because each student’s situation is based on several factors (i.e. the type and amount of aid received, the last date of attendance, tuition, fees, and/or book charges) it is very important that you discuss your individual case with a financial aid representative. If you have questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.


When financial aid exceeds college charges for tuition, fees and books, a refund will be generated. Refunds are usually available approximately the sixth week of classes. Disbursements will be held until after the census date of the last class for students taking all dynamic classes (all classes outside of regular 16 week session). At the beginning of the semester, you will receive an email that will give you an opportunity to elect your desired method for obtaining your refund. You can receive your refund via check, Direct Deposit (ACH) or you can elect to have your funds deposited onto a John Tyler Community College Visa Prepaid Card. You should refer to the Refunds section on the John Tyler Community College website for refund processing information including, but not limited to, when you can expect your refund given the refund method you have elected.


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?