It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.


A grant is a type of financial aid that does not require repayment. John Tyler Community College participates in several need-based federal- and state-funded grant programs. Students who have completed a bachelor’s degree are not eligible to receive any of the types of aid below.

The following need-based grant programs are available at John Tyler:

Federal Pell Grant:  The Federal Pell Grant is an award for undergraduates only with no prior bachelor’s or professional degree. Eligibility is primarily based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) but is also affected by enrollment status. The EFC must be 5234 or less. The maximum award for the 2016-2017academic year is $5816, with a minimum of $590. A minimum of 12 credit hours each semester is required to receive full eligibility, with pro-rated awards going to students with less than 12 credits.

FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant): FSEOG is for undergraduate Federal Pell Grant recipients with exceptional financial need (i.e., students with the lowest EFCs). Students may receive up to $2,000 a year depending on eligibility and funding level. Preference is given to out-of-state students whose tuition charges are significantly higher.

COMA (Commonwealth Grant): COMA is a state-funded grant that provides assistance to undergraduate Virginia residents to a maximum of tuition and fees per academic year. A minimum of 6 credit hours is required each semester in order to receive COMA.

VGAP (Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program): VGAP awards range from $500 up to tuition, fees and books available to undergraduate Virginia residents who graduated from high school with at least a 2.5 grade point average. VGAP also has specific renewal requirements:

  • Completion of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and continued demonstration of financial need
  • Continued enrollment in a program leading to a degree
  • Continued domiciliary residency in Virginia
  • Academic achievement of at least 2.0 cumulative grade point average
  • Maintain full-time status (at least 12 hours) each semester of the academic year
  • Maintain continuous enrollment (not counting summer sessions)
  • Remain a dependent student according to current federal regulations.

PTAP (Part-time Tuition Assistance Program): PTAP is a state-funded grant, which provides assistance to undergraduate Virginia residents to a maximum of tuition and fees per academic year. A minimum of 1 credit hour and a maximum of 8 credit hours are required each semester in order to receive PTAP.

VCCS Tuition Grant: The VCCS Tuition Grant is a state-funded grant program that provides tuition and fees at any Virginia community college for high school graduates or general education development (GED) completers in foster care, in the custody of a social services agency, or considered a special needs adoption.

When you complete your FAFSA, you will be considered for these grant programs. You will receive an award letter via e-mail from the JTCC financial aid office listing the grants you are eligible to receive.


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?