John Tyler Community College participates exclusively in the Federal Direct Student Loan Program which includes Subsidized Student Loans, Unsubsidized Student Loans and Parent Loans. The Federal Government is the lender in the Direct Student Loan Program. Students and parents interested in federal student and parent loans will be required to apply through the Direct Student Loan Program and complete master promissory notes.
For additional information on the Direct Student Loan Program, please click on the following links:
- General Direct Loan Information
- Direct Loan Consolidation Information
- Direct Loan Servicing Information
How to Apply for a Direct Student Loan
To apply for a Direct Student Loan, students must meet basic eligibility criteria and complete the following steps:
- First-time applicants complete Direct Student Loan Entrance Counseling.
- First-time applicants complete a Direct Student Loan Master Promissory Note.
- All applicants print a Loan Request Form at www.jtcc.edu/finaidforms. Complete the form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office via mail, fax or in-person.
How to Apply for a Direct Parent Loan
To apply for a Direct Parent Student Loan, students must meet basic eligibility criteria, and parents must complete the following steps:
- Complete the Direct Parent Loan Promissory Note.
- Print a Direct Parent PLUS Loan Request Form at www.jtcc.edu/finaidforms. Complete the form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office via mail, fax or in-person.
Right to Refuse a Loan
You have the right to refuse Federal Stafford Loans offered to you by John Tyler even after you have signed the promissory note. We will notify you, in writing, of this entitlement close to the date of the loan disbursement. You must submit your refusal in writing to the Financial Aid Office. If you have outstanding charges at the time of refusal, you must pay them in full at that time.
Federal Stafford Loan Exit Counseling
Exit counseling for students not enrolled in the current semester or who drop below six credits is available at www.StudentLoans.gov.