Great Expectations at JTCC
Students who grow up in the foster care system may face unique challenges that can make it extremely difficult to attend college. This video captures some of the stark realities of growing up in foster care and how caring people at Tyler.
What is the Great Expectations Program?
A bridge to college and a successful career!
The program provides financial resources and academic support for students affiliated with the Virginia Foster Care System. The transition from high school to the working world to college can be especially challenging for foster youth. Great Expectations provides support with navigating the college process.
Great Expectations focuses on the value of a college education as the best way to prepare for a career pathway and achieve independence.
What services are available through the program?
- Assistance with choosing an academic program
- Support throughout the financial aid process
- Referrals to college and community resources
- Monitoring of academic progress and assistance with accessing college support services
- An assigned mentor who will provide one-on-one academic-and career-focused support
- A Great Expectations Coach to help guide students through their academic journey
Who is eligible for the program?
- Individuals between the ages of 17 and 24 who are or were affiliated with the Virginia Foster Care System and who are interested in attending John Tyler Community College
- Youth adopted from the Virginia Foster Care System after the age of 13 or a special needs adoption
- Students who enroll in a minimum of six credits per semester in an eligible academic program
How do I get more information?
Call Vicky Muensterman at 804-706-5206 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office hours vary. Please call to make an appointment.
JTCC Chester Campus – TR 31
13101 Jefferson Davis Hwy
Chester, VA 23831
Steps To Follow
- Schedule an appointment to meet with the Great Expectations coach.
- Complete an online college application
- Apply for financial aid
- Take the college placement test
- Meet with Counseling Center staff to be program placed
- Register for classes
Financial Aid Deadlines
- Fall – July 15, 2011
- Spring – November 15, 2011
- Summer – April 1, 2012
Information Maintained by:
Great Expectations Program
Vicky Muensterman, Program Coordinator