The 2014 Commencement Ceremony will be held Friday, May 16 at 6:30 p.m. on the Midlothian Campus.
Caps and Gowns
Students who have applied for graduation and indicated on their application that they planned to march in the commencement ceremony will be sent a letter detailing graduation information from the Vice President of Student Affairs in late March 2014. If you decide NOT to participate in the ceremony, please e-mail email@example.com. All students who indicated on their graduation application that they plan to march in the commencement ceremony must RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 25, 2014 to reserve their seat at the ceremony.
If you are participating in the College’s 2014 commencement exercises, you will need to purchase your cap and gown (regalia) at the bookstore on either the Chester or Midlothian Campus.
- Regalia sales will begin April 21, 2014. If you plan to order in person at the bookstore, regalia will be available for purchase until May 15, 2014.
- Collars are not required for women and will not be sold with the package.
- No regalia will be sold on the day of commencement. Please plan appropriately.
- The cost for a gown/cap/tassel is $29.95.
- Try on your gown/cap and make any exchanges to a different size if needed. Keep your receipt for exchanges. Exchanges need to be made well in advance.
- The first pack of announcements (12 per pack) will be free for graduates. Additional packs can be purchased for $5.00 per pack. Announcements are available April 21 - May 15, 2014 or until the supply is exhausted.
- Graduates who are members of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society wear gold tassels and stoles which will also be obtained through the college bookstore. Students need to indicate to bookstore staff that they are a member of PTK when they pick up their cap and gown. Students who have questions may telephone the bookstore in Chester at 804-796-1515 or in Midlothian at 804-594-0437. PTK members may only wear gold tassels and honors stoles—no other PTK regalia is permitted. PTK members must be in good academic standing with their chapters in order to wear any PTK regalia at commencement.
If you have any questions regarding regalia purchases or invitations, please contact the bookstore.
Other Important Information
- Keep your address/phone numbers current in the Student Information System in myTyler. You will receive several important mailings from the College at this address.
- Diplomas are ordered within a month of the ceremony, and you will be notified via mail when you can pick up your diploma on campus. Or, we will mail your diploma to you after a specific period of time. It normally takes 8-10 weeks to receive the diploma after ordering. You do not receive your diploma on the day of graduation.
- If you need proof of graduation after May 31, 2014, please follow college policy and request an official transcript from the college. Transcripts cost $3.00 per copy. Graduation will be denoted on your transcript within 3 weeks of graduation
- There is no limit on guests. The ceremony is held outside.
- If you have additional questions regarding commencement, e-mail the graduation coordinators at email@example.com.
The Day of the Ceremony
Participants must check-in on May 16, 2014 between 4:45 p.m. and 5:45 p.m. in Eliades Hall. Individuals who arrive after this time will not be permitted to participate in the commencement ceremony.
Graduation candidates typically wear black or dark clothes beneath their gowns. Dark, comfortable shoes are also recommended. Restrooms will be available for robing, but personal belongings should not be left in these rooms. These rooms will not be secured during the ceremony, and the College cannot be responsible for lost items.
The commencement ceremony will be held outdoors. Participants and their guests are encouraged to pay careful attention to local weather forecasts and dress appropriately for predicted morning and afternoon temperatures.
In the event of inclement weather, participants and their guests should telephone 804-796-4000 or check www.jtcc.edu for special instructions. The absence of any special announcement indicates that the ceremony will be held as scheduled. If the ceremony is cancelled on Friday, May 16, 2014, it will be held on Saturday, May 17 at 10:00 a.m. at the Midlothian Campus.
Participants with special parking needs must contact Mr. Frank Medaglia, Chief of Campus Security, at 804-594-1414 (Midlothian) or Tom Kearnes, Security Supervisor, at 804-706-5018 (Chester) no later than April 18, 2014.
Participants with special mobility needs must contact Blair Stillwell at 804-594-5209 or 504-594-1562 no later than April 11, 2014.
Please remember that participation in the commencement ceremony does not denote official certification of a degree or certificate. Official certification of graduation is only made when all curriculum requirements have been satisfactorily addressed and recorded in the Admissions and Records Office.
Letters will be forwarded to all Spring Semester 2014 graduates in late summer with information on diploma pick-up. Diplomas that are not picked up by the designated deadline will be mailed. Please remember to keep your mailing address current in the Student Information System in myTyler.