Placement Testing Requirements and Exceptions
Placement tests in English and mathematics generally are required for all entering students seeking admission to degree and certificate programs, as well as some career studies certificate programs (see the current College Catalog for specific placement testing requirements). John Tyler Community College currently administers the VPT English and Mathematics placement tests.
There is no fee for these placement tests, but students must show their correct JTCC student EMPLIDs (student ID numbers) when they come to the Testing Center for the placement tests. Students receive their EMPLIDs when they submit their applications for admission to the College. Students should check with the Admissions and Records office of the College if they do not have this number.
Placement tests in English (writing and reading) and mathematics are required for:
- A beginning student enrolling in or planning to enroll in a college-level course in mathematics or English composition;
- Admission to all degree and certificate programs, as well as some career studies certificate programs (see current College Catalog for specific program admission requirements); or
- A student enrolling in a course that requires English and/or mathematics proficiency as a prerequisite. Note: The mathematics placement test is required before enrolling in biology, chemistry 111, EMS, mathematics and physics courses unless a waiver is approved by the division dean or designee.
Placement Test Scores
Students who seek placement in degree and certificate programs are required to take the appropriate placement tests or present scores on other approved tests (see below), unless otherwise stated in the College Catalog. SAT scores only may be used in place of placement test scores in English and mathematics as noted below.
The Virginia Placement Test (VPT) for Mathematics is an adaptive, computerized, untimed test. It is designed to determine a student’s readiness for the mathematics required in a student’s specific academic program. If deficiencies are determined, a student will be required to complete prescribed developmental modules prior to enrolling in the college-level mathematics courses.
Test scores are valid for two (2) years after the date of the test. Students who take the mathematics placement test and who do not enroll in developmental math are allowed to take one (1) retest within twelve (12) months. Students who attempt a developmental mathematics course will be ineligible for a retest. Exceptions to this retest policy may be made on a case-by-case basis in accordance with established college procedures. A student who provides official evidence of a minimum score of 520 on the mathematics section of the SAT or a minimum score of 22 on the mathematics section of the ACT, taken within the last two years may be exempt from taking the VCCS mathematics placement test based on the mathematics requirements in the student’s academic plan.
Exceptions to mandatory placement testing in mathematics:
- All entering students must take or provide mathematics placement tests prior to enrolling in MTH 103-104, MTH 115-116, MTH 120, MTH 158, MTH 163-164, MTH 170, MTH 173-174, MTH 240, MTH 241-242, MTH 270, or MTH 273-274. A student who has completed a college-level mathematics course with a grade of “D” or better may enroll in MTH 103 or MTH 120 without testing; or
- A student who has completed three semester hours or more of college-level algebra or calculus with grades of “D” or better should contact the Dean of Mathematics, Natural and Health Sciences for guidance regarding the possible waiver of the mathematics placement test for specific courses at John Tyler Community College.
- Students with bachelor degrees are not required to take the math Placement Test, but we recommend you take the VPT math placement test to assess your current skill-level before registering for a college-level math class.
The Virginia Placement Test (VPT) for English is an adaptive, computerized, untimed test. It is designed to determine a student’s readiness for college-level reading and composition. If deficiencies as determined a student will be required to complete appropriate developmental English courses prior to enrolling in ENG 111-College Composition I.
Test scores are valid for two (2) years after the date of the test. Students who take the English placement test and who do not enroll in developmental English are allowed to take one (1) retest within twelve (12) months. Students who attempt a developmental English course will be ineligible for a retest. Exceptions to this retest policy may be made on a case-by-case basis in accordance with established college procedures. A student who provides official evidence of a minimum score of 500 on both the critical reading and writing sections of the SAT, or a minimum score of 21 on both the English Test and Reading Test of the ACT, taken within the last two years, is exempt from taking the VCCS English placement test.
Exceptions to mandatory placement testing in English (writing and reading):
- A student transferring from another accredited college(s) to John Tyler Community College with a grade of “D” or better in a college-level English course.
- Students with bachelor degrees are not required to take the English Placement Test.
Please note: The Testing Centers receive a large volume of calls, and with a limited staff, they are able to process requests quicker that are received via e-mail at email@example.com.