Thanksgiving Holiday Schedule - The College will be closed Wednesday, November 26 - Sunday, November 30. More.


It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Military Educational Benefits

Getting Started

Download the Maximizing Your VA Educational Benefits brochure for additional information about the process listed below.

1. Understand your VA education benefits. Compare the different types of benefits and figure out what is best for you. Use the VA Comparison Tool/Payment Rates or the Post 9/11 GI Bill® Comparison Tool.

2. Apply online for your veterans educational benefits at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs web site. Be sure to apply for these benefits as early as possible as to receive the certificate of eligibility.

4. Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. John Tyler's school code is 004004.

5. Take the JTCC placement tests.

6. Meet with an academic counselor, and choose a program of study.


The State Department of Education approves most programs at JTCC for the payment of veteran’s educational benefits.

Learn more about Using your Veterans Benefits at Tyler. (link to new Veterans Benefits page)

After you have submitted your application, the VA will mail a Certificate of Eligibility (via USPS) outlining the details of your benefit. Bring your Certificate of Eligibility to the Military & Veterans Education Office.

To be eligible for benefits, your classes must apply to a program of study.You must be enrolled in 12 credits hours to receive full benefits, however, benefits are prorated based on “rate of pursuit” when enrolled in less than 12 credits hours.


New Student Checklist (link to new page)
Returning Student Checklist (link to new page)

Family Members (Dependents)

Learn more about Using your Spouse and Family Member (Dependent) Benefits at Tyler.

Virginia Military Survivors and Dependent Education Program (VMSDEP) - formerly referred to as: War Orphans Educational Benefits

The Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program (VMSDEP) provides education benefits to spouses and children of military service members killed, missing in action, taken prisoner, or who became at least 90 percent disabled as a result of military service in an armed conflict. Section SB-529 of the Code of Virginia provide for free tuition and fees to attend state-supported institutions of higher education for children of persons deceased, disabled, prisoners of war, or missing in action as a result of any armed conflict after December 6, 1941, involving the Armed Forces of the United States.

View the VMSDEP fact sheet.


New Student Checklist (link to new page)
Returning Student Checklist (link to new page)

Active Duty

Active duty personnel may qualify for assistance through tuition assistance (TA) programs as well as Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits. Find service specific TA information:


New Student Checklist (link to new page)
Returning Student Checklist (link to new page)

Registration and Enrollment

  • You must pay for your classes by the close of business the Friday of the week in which you registered for your classes (except Post 9/11, Ch. 33). If you don’t receive your Certificate of Eligibility before this payment deadline, please contact the MVEO staff for additional details. You may call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 to check on the progress of your application.
  • Keep your address current. Contact the MVEO if you move.
  • Do not repeat classes that have already been counted toward your degree/certificate completion. The VA will not pay benefits for classes that are not part of your degree program. If you want to repeat a class for which you already have credit, contact the MVEO , so we can adjust your enrollment status.
  • Avoid taking classes that are not in your degree program. If you want to do this, contact the MVEO, so we can adjust your enrollment status.
  • If you want to change your degree program, contact your advisor, and the MVEO immediately.
  • Notify the MVEO promptly about any change in your enrollment. If you drop/add any classes after your enrollment has been certified, you may owe money to JTCC and/or the VA. Discuss changes with your MVEO counselor prior to making adjustments to your class schedule. The fewer changes you make, the less chance your benefits will be over-paid or under-paid.
  • You must fill out an Enrollment Certification Request Form each semester and communicate with your MVEO Counselor (VA Certifying Official). (link to new page)

Payment Information

  • Respond promptly to all requests from the VA or the MVEO. Your benefits depend on it.
  • Post 9-11 (Chapter 33): Once your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) Letter from the Veterans Administration (VA) is provided to your MVEO counselor at JTCC, a “hold” will be placed on your account so your classes are not dropped due to non-payment of tuition and fees. Do not pay tuition/fees since submission of tuition and fees for your enrollment will occur (by your MVEO counselor) each semester after the financial aid office has posted funding (if applicable).
  • Montgomery Bill (Chapter 30): Students must pay tuition & fees by the close of business the Friday of the week in which you registered for your classes. VA benefits are paid directly to the student.
  • VocRehab (Chapter 31): Students enrolled under Vocational Rehabilitation must have the approval of a counselor at the VA before payment of benefits can be authorized.
  • Members of the Selected Reserve and National Guard: These students should contact the VA regarding their benefits.
  • Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program (VMSDEP): Students must take a copy of the Eligibility Letter received from the Virginia Department of Veterans Services to the Business Office and provide a copy to your MVEO Counselor.

Resources and Services

John Tyler offers support services to students, including:

The following links may also be helpful to veterans. These links are for information and educational purposes ONLY and do not imply an endorsement of the views, information, or products provided or held by such web sites.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can help me with my benefits?
The Military and Veterans Education Office at Tyler is available to assist. (link to new page)

Which VA benefits are best for me?
Use the VA Comparison Tool.

How do I use VA benefits at John Tyler?
The Military Education Page (which this FAQ is a part of) is best way to get started with using your benefits at John Tyler. You can also download the Maximizing Your VA Educational Benefits at Tyler brochure for a quick guide.

How do I get credit for my prior military or college experience?
Details are on the Credit for Prior Military Experience or College page. (link to new page)

How much do VA education benefits pay?
See the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs rate tables.

How can I request a copy of my DD214?
Request military service records from the National Archives.

Do you offer shorter training opportunities focused on entry in the workforce?

Yes. The College offers industry-focused, for-credit certificate and career studies certificate programs that can be completed in as little as two or three semesters. The Community College Workforce Alliance also offers open enrollment, non-credit workforce training.

myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?