Military Registration and Payments
Registration and Enrollment
- You must pay for your classes by the close of business the Friday of the week in which you registered for your classes (except Post 9/11, Ch. 33). If you don’t receive your Certificate of Eligibility before this payment deadline, please contact the MVEO staff for additional details. You may call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 to check on the progress of your application.
- Keep your address current. Contact the MVEO if you move.
- Do not repeat classes that have already been counted toward your degree/certificate completion. The VA will not pay benefits for classes that are not part of your degree program. If you want to repeat a class for which you already have credit, contact the MVEO , so we can adjust your enrollment status.
- Avoid taking classes that are not in your degree program. If you want to do this, contact the MVEO, so we can adjust your enrollment status.
- If you want to change your degree program, contact your advisor, and the MVEO immediately.
- Notify the MVEO promptly about any change in your enrollment. If you drop/add any classes after your enrollment has been certified, you may owe money to JTCC and/or the VA. Discuss changes with your MVEO counselor prior to making adjustments to your class schedule. The fewer changes you make, the less chance your benefits will be over-paid or under-paid.
- You must fill out an Enrollment Certification Request Form each semester and communicate with your MVEO Counselor (VA Certifying Official).
- Respond promptly to all requests from the VA or the MVEO. Your benefits depend on it.
- Post 9-11 (Chapter 33): Once your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) Letter from the Veterans Administration (VA) is provided to your MVEO counselor at JTCC, a “hold” will be placed on your account so your classes are not dropped due to non-payment of tuition and fees. Do not pay tuition/fees since submission of tuition and fees for your enrollment will occur (by your MVEO counselor) each semester after the financial aid office has posted funding (if applicable).
- Montgomery Bill (Chapter 30): Students must pay tuition & fees by the close of business the Friday of the week in which you registered for your classes. VA benefits are paid directly to the student.
- VocRehab (Chapter 31): Students enrolled under Vocational Rehabilitation must have the approval of a counselor at the VA before payment of benefits can be authorized.
- Members of the Selected Reserve and National Guard: These students should contact the VA regarding their benefits.
- Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program (VMSDEP): Students must take a copy of the Eligibility Letter received from the Virginia Department of Veterans Services to the Business Office and provide a copy to your MVEO Counselor.
Welcome to John Tyler Community College, where the vision is to provide “a success story for every student.” That is exactly what the Military and Veterans Education Office (MVEO) strives to do every day. Our mission is to assist our students in navigating the various VA educational benefit programs and help them to maximize their hard-earned benefits.
The MVEO staff are all veterans who understand where you have been. We strive to provide excellent and timely service so that our students, whether they are active duty, Guard or Reserve, veterans or military family members, can reach their personal, professional and educational goals.
Michael J. Murphy
Coordinator of Military and Veteran Affairs