Free Speech/Expressive Activity
John Tyler Community College (JTCC) is primarily dedicated to academic, student life, and administrative functions. But it also represents a “marketplace of ideas,” and especially for students, many areas of campus represent a public forum for speech and other expressive activities. The College may place restrictions on expressive activities occurring indoors, but especially for students and student organizations, the outdoor areas of the campuses remain venues for the free expression, including speeches, demonstrations, and the distribution of literature.
The College may establish reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions on expressive activity. Such restrictions must be content-neutral, narrowly tailored to serve a significant governmental interest, and allow ample alternative channels for communication of the information.
The College has designated administrative offices, libraries, laboratories, and (during instructional hours) classrooms as areas that are not available for expressive activity.
Examples of events and activities covered by this policy include:
- Meetings and other group activities of students and student organizations;
- Speeches, performances, demonstrations, rallies, vigils, and other events by students, student organizations, and outside groups invited by student organizations;
- Distributions of literature, such as leaflets and pamphlets; and
- Any other expression protected by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution
The use of College facilities and property must
- be safe for participants and not generate security issues.
- not interfere with the rights of individuals and groups to the free expression of their views or impermissibly regulate their speech based on its content or viewpoint.
- not violate or hinder the rights of others within the campus community or substantially disrupt normal College operations.
- be requested at least twenty-four hours in advance to the Office of Student Activities.
- be sponsored by a recognized student organization or the College in order to conduct expressive activities or events on College campuses if the individuals and organizations are not members of the College community (i.e., neither students, student organizations, nor College employees).
Please review the JTCC Policy on Expressive Activity for specifics regarding free expression on the College Campuses to include outlined procedures.
Report an Incident
You may report an incident of disruption of constitutionally protected speech (including, but not limited to distribution of literature or public speaking under the college’s Policy on Expressive Activity).
For non-emergency incidents, you may file a report online through;
For additional information or to discuss an possible incident contact:
Sandra Kirkland, M.Ed., LPC
Dean of Students
Title IX Coordinator
ADA/ Section 504/Title II Coordinator
John Tyler Community College
13101 Jefferson Davis Highway
Chester, VA 23831
800 Charter Colony Parkway
Midlothian, VA 23114
If this is an emergency, please contact JTCC Campus Security at 804-796-4025 (Chester) or 804-897-6678 (Midlothian).
Get More Information:
Holly Walker, Public Relations Manager