A Place That Changes Lives
At John Tyler Community College, we spend each and every day helping our students reach their goals. It’s not just what we do, it’s who we are. We are a college that’s helping Jordan Nurney pursue her goal of becoming a teacher. We are a community that’s offering Alexis Gomez the opportunity to the skills that will prepare him for a career in international business. We are faculty and staff who are opening doors for Alicia Alvarez as she works toward her dream of becoming a speech pathologist. These are only a few of the stories that inspire us to do everything we can to help our students grow and our community thrive.
Reaching Out to Legislators
On January 29 and February 11, our 2019 student delegation met with some of the legislators who serve the John Tyler Community College service region. During those meetings, our students shared their stories and discussed how John Tyler Community College has impacted their lives and benefits the community. The students who visited with legislators during the 2019 session included: Alicia Alvarez (General Studies, Science Specialization), Luis Colon (Visual Arts, Graphic Design Specialization), Matthew Holmes (General Studies), Jordan Nurney (Liberal Arts, Secondary Teacher Education in History Specialization), Corey Rennie (General Studies, Mass Communications), Llana Sidbury (Human Services), and Aimy Simbi (Business Administration).
From left to right: Corey Rennie; Aimy Simbi; Alicia Alvarez; Jordan Nurney; Sen. Glen Sturtevant
From left to right: Matthew Holmes; Llana Sidbury; Luis Colon; Dr. Edward “Ted” Raspiller, John Tyler Community College president (back); Del. Lashrecse Aird; Jordan Nurney; Alicia Alvarez
Virginia General Assembly
Virginia House of Delegates Members
Virginia Senate Members
Governor Ralph S. Northam
Lieutenant Governor Justin E. Fairfax
Attorney General Mark R. Herring
Virginia Community College System Blog
How Can You Help?
- Communicate with members of the General Assembly who represent your locality. To find your legislators and their contact information, please visit the Virginia General Assembly home page, and click on “Who’s My Legislator” (at the top of the page).
- E-mail Holly Walker at email@example.com if you would like to join the College delegation on future trips to the Virginia General Assembly.
John Tyler Community College supports the Growth4VA campaign, which was launched by the Virginia Business Higher Education Council "to promote reform and reinvestment in Virginia's top-ranked higher education system."
The Growth4VA coalition will work to:
- Make Virginia the top state for workforce talent.
- Make Virginia known as the home of innovators and entrepreneurs.
- Prepare Virginians for great jobs and great lives.
- Provide all Virginians with affordable access to education.
Learn more about Growth4VA.
Get More Information:
Holly Walker, Public Relations Manager