Tips to Help you get Ready for your Classes
Posted on January 02, 2018
By Holly Walker
The start of a new year is always busy. So, we wanted to offer a few tips to help you prepare for the start of your spring classes at Tyler.
Double-check your Class Schedule
To pull up your schedule, log into your myTyler account, and then go into the Student Information System. When looking at your schedule:
- Check the location of all your classes to ensure they’re being held where you expect. Online classes are identified as Virtual. Chester Campus building are identified as Bird, Moyar, Godwin and Trailer. Midlothian Campus buildings include: Eliades, Hamel, T Building. Classes at the Nursing Education Center are identified as JT/CJW.
- Check the start date of your classes. Tyler offers classes that start during different weeks throughout the semester (for instance, classes identified as 12-Week, 2nd 8-Week or Dynamic).
Buy your Textbooks
You’ll need to have any required textbooks by the first day of your class. To see what books you need, go to the Bookstore web site at www.jtcc.edu/bookstore, and look up each of your classes. If you are using financial aid to pay for your books, purchases may be made January 2 – 25. Financial aid may not be used after January 25 to purchase textbooks.
Check your Student E-mail
Keep an eye on your student e-mail for important information from your instructors or from other college offices.
Learn about Important Dates
The college’s academic calendar, which contains important dates such as class session start and end dates; holidays; and deadlines to add a class, drop a class or withdraw from a class, may be found online at https://jtcc.edu/academics/academic-calendar. Once your classes begin, your instructors will provide you with a syllabus, specific to your course. Your syllabi will include additional dates you need to know.
Get to Know Tyler
- If your classes are on campus, check out the downloadable campus maps at www.jtcc.edu/locations.
- Check out all the resources available to you through Tyler’s libraries at https://library.jtcc.edu.
- Explore the college’s current Catalog and Student Handbook for helpful information. This publication may be found online at www.jtcc.edu/publications.
- Find out about safety and security at Tyler by visiting www.jtcc.edu/safety. Information about signing up for the college’s notification system, Tyler Alert, and its new safety app, LiveSafe, may be found in this section of the web site.
Get More Information:
Holly Walker, Public Relations Manager