Fall 2020 Updates
During the Fall 2020 semester, Tyler is offering classes in a variety of format, including a limited number of on-campus classes. The college’s fall schedule is designed with health and safety in mind, so students have options.
Fall 2020 class formats include:
- Classes that will meet on Zoom on specific days and times. These courses give students the opportunity to interact with their instructor and their classmates in a face-to-face virtual environment. Students can attend these classes from anywhere using a computer or mobile device.
- Classes that are hybrid, blending face-to-face and online learning. Students in these courses will do a portion of their classwork online, using the student learning system Canvas. The face-to-face portion of their class will take place on Zoom or at one of Tyler’s campuses.
- Classes that are fully online. Students in these classes will be given weekly assignments and interact on their own schedules using discussion boards and other technologies. These classes are taught in Canvas with no required Zoom or in-person meetings.
- On-campus classes that meet either at the Chester or Midlothian campus.
Classes taught partially or completely on-campus will follow social distancing requirements, and face coverings will be required on campus. The college is also following disinfecting guidelines set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If Virginia steps back to an earlier phase due to increases in Virginia’ COVID-19 cases, the college is prepared to move all classes to remote formats.
Fall Registration Assistance
Tyler’s student support offices are available to assist new and returning students. New and current students are encouraged to connect to these services remotely. The college is providing on-campus services for those who are unable to access services remotely. Students who come to campus should note each office’s hours, must follow the guidelines for each department they plan to visit and must follow the college’s safety protocols.
Learning about Tyler and the Fall Semester
Ready to learn more about Tyler?
Attend a Virtual Info Session with our outreach coordinators and career coaches. Virtual Info Sessions are held weekly on Zoom on different days and times. If the session times don’t work with your schedule, send us an email, and we’ll set up an appointment with you.
Already decided to attend Tyler but need help on getting started? Our New Student Orientation can connect you with staff to answer your questions.
New Student Orientation is currently offered as an online module that can be taken at a time that’s convenient for you. Orientation is mandatory for all new Tyler students.
For the Fall 2020 semester, all registered students will be required to:
- Complete a Student Health Safety Agreement for each class, regardless of class format. The agreement will be made available to students in Canvas, the online student learning system.
- Complete a COVID-19 educational module, which will be made available to students in Canvas.
- Follow all college safety protocols.