skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Declaring a Major

To receive financial aid and to graduate from John Tyler Community College (JTCC), you must declare a major.  

How to declare a major:

  • Follow the appropriate steps for admission to JTCC.
  • Fulfill the placement testing requirements, either by taking the Virginia Placement Test (VPT) at JTCC or any other Virginia community college.  Student can also submit satisfactory SAT or ACT test scores or provide transcript showing successful completion of college level English and/or Math at another regionally accredited institution.   
  • Visit the Advising Center to discuss your future plans and JTCC's majors. You'll also complete a program plan form to officially declare your major. Save your copy of the paperwork, because it includes the name and contact information of your  faculty advisor.  Once you declare your major, you should make an appointment with your faculty advisor each semester to discuss your course options before registering for classes.
  • If you are a transfer student, you’ll need to provide the College with official copies of transcripts from high school and all colleges and universities you previously attended if any of the following are applicable:

    • You are applying for Funeral Services, Emergency Medical Services or Nursing.

    • You have been suspended or dismissed from another college or university.

    • You are requesting a transcript review for transfer credits from a college outside the VCCS.

      Once they receive your official request to declare a major at Tyler, Admissions and Records will evaluate your transcripts.

myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?