skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Dual Enrollment

The Dual Enrollment Program at John Tyler Community College allows high school students to enroll in courses for which they earn both high school and college credit. Classes are offered in traditional academic areas as well as business and technology. Dual enrollment courses are held at the high school and follow the high school’s calendar and schedule. School counseling staff identify prospective participants and guide students through the application and qualification process.

Dual enrollment students are able to:

  • Explore career interests
  • Get a jump-start on their college careers
  • Earn both high school and college credit
  • Transfer applicable college credit to most 4-year colleges and universities in Virginia

The tools to succeed

Earning college credit while still in high school saves students time and money. Credit earned for many dual-enrollment courses may be applied toward a degree or certificate once the student is enrolled in college. Students should consult the individual institution’s transfer guide to determine which courses will transfer.

Dual-enrollment classes are taught by qualified high school faculty and maintain the same high-quality educational standards as those taught on campus at John Tyler Community College. Teachers are required to have credentials that are comparable to college instructors and use textbooks and syllabi that are aligned with the college curriculum. Dual enrollment course options vary at each school, therefore, it is necessary for you to check with your school counselor guidance counselor to learn about the available offerings at your school.

Advantages to taking dual-enrolled courses:

  • Saves time and money
  • May shorten the time to post-secondary degree completion
  • Gives students early exposure to the academic rigors of a college-level course


High school juniors and seniors that meet the College’s academic requirements for the program may pursue dual enrollment participation.. Students must achieve a satisfactory score on the appropriate college placement tests and complete required program documents provided by their school counselor.

To be eligible for dual enrollment coursework, students must:

  • Consult their school counselor to determine if they meet program eligibility requirements.
  • Find out what courses are offered and the school application deadline.

Application process

A specific set of instructions must be followed by DE participants when submitting an online application to JTCC. An overview of the process with instructions are provided by school counselors. Upon completion of the online process, DE applicants will receive an application summary and they are not required to sign and submit it to JTCC staff. Continuing DE students also do not need to resubmit an online application.


Each school division individually contracts with the College to offer dual enrollment courses, and in some instances, there is little or no actual cost to the student. The school division, not the student, will be billed at the end of each semester for costs associated with DE participation. Parents should not attempt to pay fees directly to JTCC and they are encouraged to follow directives provided by the school district. If the student is required to pay DE fees, the cost per credit hour at John Tyler Community College remains substantially less than most four-year institutions.

Placement Testing

Tests for high school dual enrollment course placement are administered at the College’s campuses or at the high school during the spring semester Students must first complete the JTCC online application and secure a VPT Test Memo from their school counselor in order to test on campus. Testing is administered on the computer, and calculators are not allowed. Accommodations must be secured two weeks prior to testing through one of the JTCC Disability Support Specialists. You can find out more about placement testing at the College, by visiting our placement testing pages.

College Transcripts

Students may request a copy of their transcripts once their dual enrollment coursework is complete. Students can view unofficial transcripts through myTyler, or they can request an official transcript.

For more information about the availability of DE at your school, we recommend that you contact your school counselor. Otherwise, you can contact us at


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?