The Arts at Tyler
The 2021 Foundation Art Award Competition deadline is midnight on November 1, 2020. Paintings, drawings, photographs, sculpture, ceramics and graphic design entries are welcomed and encouraged. The winner will be selected and notified this fall. The winner and all finalists will be invited to attend the JTCC Student Awards Night in the spring, where they will be publicly recognized.
Explore. Grow. Do.
Make films. Produce plays. Take photos. Create print and web design pieces. Create art and show it. Museum-hop in New York with your classmates. Travel to Europe.
The arts at John Tyler are all about doing. And because studio classes are capped at 18 students, you'll get lots of individual attention. Courses are taught by practicing artists who are experts in their fields. Not sure where you want to go? Don't worry. John Tyler is a place built on experimentation. Whether you're intrigued by improv or InDesign, you'll get a foundation you can build on, and the chance to explore.
John Tyler students graduate to careers as working artists, or transfer to four-year institution. Our transfer success rate is excellent, and our graduates go on to some of the most prestigious arts programs in the country.
What do people like so much about John Tyler?
- Our fine arts studio space, with its natural light and great ceramics facilities.
- A robust collection of film and photo equipment.
- Theatre productions: from sketch and improv to full-blown productions.
- Extensive Macintosh labs with state-of-the-art design, web and video software and hardware.
- Juried student art competitions.
- A vibrant, nurturing arts community, with four active student arts clubs.
- Instruction by expert working artists, at a fraction of the cost of four-year programs.
- Study abroad opportunities
- Yearly museum-hopping trips to NYC.
Need to work on assignments outside of class? All use of Visual Arts facilities now requires an appointment. Sign up for an appointment to use Visual Arts facilities outside of class.
You don't need to wait until you take ART 287 Portfolio & Resume Preparation to document your work at one of our portfolio shoots. Capture professional quality images of your work now so that you'll be ready to take advantage of opportunities in the future.
If you cannot make it to one of the Portfolio Shoots, check out the Visual Arts guide on digitizing your artwork at home.
The Tyler Gallery is currently closed.
Degrees and Certificates
John Tyler lets you choose the right certificate or degree to match your goals:
Performing Arts Degrees
- Music, AFA
- Theatre, AFA
- Theatre, Technical Theatre Specialization, AFA
Visual Arts Certificates
- Filmmaking, CSC
- Fine Arts Certificate
- Photography, CSC
- Museum Studies, CSC
Visual Arts Degrees
- Visual Arts, AAA
- Visual Arts, Film Specialization, AAA
- Visual Arts, Graphic Design Specialization, AAA
- Visual Arts, Photography Specialization, AAA
- Web Design, AAS New!
See all majors at www.jtcc.edu/majors/
The arts at John Tyler are all about doing, and vibrant student clubs offer a chance to do more: enter exhibitions, travel to places like New York and Europe, act in student productions, be a student leader, and more. All while building a sense of community outside the classroom. Among John Tyler Community College's student organizations are:
- Art Club
- Theatre Club
- Improv Club