English as a Second Language (ESL)
If English is not your native language, John Tyler Community College offers additional support to you.
ESL students should consult with the advisor for international students to determine which placement tests are necessary.
To apply to Tyler as an ESL student:
- Familiarize yourself with the important dates and deadlines for admission.
- Apply online or pick up an Application for Admission.
- Apply for Financial Aid. U. S. citizens and certain non-citizens are eligible for financial aid. Learn more about the Financial Aid Process.
- Send any required documentation about your educational/immigration status to the Admissions and Records Office.
Contact the Advising Center. Appointments can be made by e-mail or phone:
Phone: 804-594-1558 (Midlothian) or 804-706-5244 (Chester)
Available hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., EST.
During your meeting/conversation, the advisor will work with you to determine which placement test(s) you should take.
- Practice for and take the required placement test(s) in the Testing Center. There is no charge for the test(s).
Use these tools to practice:
- Once you are done with the test(s), print off the scores. Bring them to the Advisor for International Students for evaluation. The advisor will also help you declare a major and/or register for classes.
For more information, please contact Tom Parrott, Advisor for International Students at firstname.lastname@example.org.