Placement Test Waivers
Do I Need to Take Placement Tests?
Tyler typically offers placement tests to help students determine which level of math or English they are ready to take. Due to COVID-19, placement tests will not be required for the spring 2021 semester.
You should schedule an appointment with the Advising Center to determine your placement in math and English courses. The following information may assist your advisor with placing you:
- An unofficial transcript showing prior coursework in math and/or English
- PSAT, SAT, or ACT scores
- Demonstration of completion of required high school coursework, along with your GPA, within the last 5 years
Transcript(s) or score(s) can also be emailed to Admissions and Records. Staff will review your materials and post any exemptions in SIS within 48 hours.
You can waive the placement test requirement, if you:
- Submit an official transcript to the Advising Center showing completion of college-level English or math with a grade of C or higher at an accredited institution where English is the official language. If you have not taken math or English within the last five years, meet with an advisor to discuss your readiness.
- Have successfully completed developmental courses at another community college in Virginia. If you completed developmental coursework at non-VCCS institution, your course will be evaluated for placement by Advising.
- Are taking classes for personal enrichment and are not enrolled in an English, math or another course that requires a pre-requisite or readiness in English or math. Course descriptions in the college catalog lists pre-requisite and readiness requirements.
- Have graduated from high school within the last five years and can submit a high school transcript (unofficial transcript is acceptable) demonstrating one of the following placement measures:
|English Placement Measure||H.S. GPA or Score Range||Placement|
|High School GPA (H.S. GPA)||3.0 or higher||ENG 111|
|2.7 - 2.9||ENF3/ENG 111|
(Evidence-Based Reading and Writing)
|480 or above||ENG 111|
|460 - 470 range||ENF3/ENG 111|
|SAT – Critical Reading (Verbal) and
Writing (Pre-March 2016)
|500 or above
(on both sections)
|ACT-Subject Area Tests: English and Reading||18 or above
(on each test)
|15 - 17 range
(on each test)
|GED-English (RLA-Reading through Language Arts)||165 or above||ENG 111|
|Math Placement Measures*||H.S. GPA or Score Range||Placement|
|H.S. GPA and Algebra II and
One Algebra Intensive Course**
|3.0 or higher||MTE 1 – 9 Satisfied|
|2.7 - 2.9||MTE 1-9 Co-Requisite Eligible
MTH 161 + MCR 6
|H.S. GPA and Algebra II||3.0 or higher||MTE 1 – 5 Satisfied|
|2.7 - 2.9||MTE 1-5 Co-Requisite Eligible
MTH 154 + MCR4
|H.S. GPA and Algebra I||3.0 or higher||MTE 1 – 3 Satisfied|
|SAT – Math||530 or above||MTE 1 – 9 Satisfied|
|510 – 520 range||MTE 1 – 5 Satisfied|
|ACT – Subject Area Test: Math||22 or above||MTE 1 – 9 Satisfied|
|19 – 21 range||MTE 1 – 5 Satisfied|
|GED – Math||165 or above||MTE 1 – 5 Satisfied|
|155 - 164||MTE 1 – 3 Satisfied|
*Students must meet pre-requisites or complete the VPT for placement into MTH 162, MTH 245, MTH 261, MTH 263, MTH 264, MTH 265, MTH 266, MTH 267, MTH 288.
**Algebra Intensive Courses above Algebra II include Trigonometry, Math Analysis, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Algebra III. Must be demonstrated with a high school transcript. Learn how to obtain your high school transcript.
NOTE: Students may complete the VPT Calculus Test for placement into Pre-Calculus II, Calculus, and 200-level Statistics.
High school seniors can submit an unofficial transcript to admissions and records after their first semester of their high school senior year to determine if placement tests are necessary.
All students have the option to take the Virginia Placement Test in order to improve their placement standing after other measures are considered. This option will be available when the college reopens to the public.
Concurrent/home-schooled students planning to take transfer courses must test into ENG 111 and MTE 1, while those planning to take non-transfer courses must test into ENF 1 and MTE 1. Developmental classes are not, however, available to concurrent/home-schooled students.
Concurrent students who provide official evidence of a satisfactory PSAT, SAT or ACT scores, taken within the last two years, are exempt from taking the VCCS English and/or mathematics placement test. Learn more about requirements and cut-off scores on our Concurrent Enrollment page.