skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Military Spouse or Dependent Child

If an active-duty service member is assigned to a permanent duty station in Virginia, and that active-duty service member’s spouse or dependent children reside in Virginia, the family qualifies for in-state tuition rates at John Tyler Community College. 

To qualify, military spouses and dependent children must follow standard admission procedures for either new student seeking a degree or certificate, new student not seeking a degree or certificate or transfer students and also present the following:

  • proof (e.g., military orders) of spouse’s active duty status and permanent duty assignment in Virginia,
  • verification of military member and dependent’s residence in Virginia (e.g., driver’s license, or any number of ways of demonstrating residency in Virginia, such as a copy of a utility bill, a lease, etc.), and
  • dependent military ID card.

The above documentation must be presented in person to the Admissions and Records Office located in Moyar Hall, Room M101 in Chester, or the Administration Building, Room B106 in Midlothian. All documentation must be presented on/before the first day of classes for the semester in which you plan to enroll. Virginia State Law HB695 provides guidance for obtaining in-state tuition for military dependents.

Find information on how to understand, apply for and activate your Veterans Educational Benefits at


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?