skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

New Student Seeking a Degree or Certificate

Below are the steps new students who are interested in earning a degree or certificate need to take to get started at John Tyler.

Please note: If you are applying to the nursing or funeral services programs, you must also submit official high school transcripts to John Tyler Community College, Admissions and Records Office, Attn: Transcripts, 13101 Jefferson Davis Highway, Chester, VA 23831. Funeral services applicants must mail their official high school transcripts via the U.S. postal service. Transcripts for this program can no longer hand-delivered to the College.

  1. Familiarize yourself with the important dates and deadlines for admission.

  2. Apply online or pick up an Application for Admission.

  3. Apply for financial aid.

    If you are applying for financial aid, fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. Meeting the deadlines established by the Financial Aid Office at John Tyler will help ensure that you will be considered for the maximum amount of aid and that your funding will be in place in a timely manner.

  4. Determine need for placement tests, and take test, if needed.

  5. Visit the Advising Center.

    The Advising Center sees students on a walk-in basis for initial advising/registration meetings. During this initial Advising Session, there will be a review of your placement tests and an opportunity to discuss and declare a major.  Further, during this session a student can be assigned a Faculty Advisor as well as receive recommendations for first semester courses.

  6. Pay your tuition and fees.

    John Tyler Community College does not generate bills for tuition and fees. Tuition Payment Deadlines:  It is your responsibility to make sure you pay your tuition and fees by the deadlines listed at If you do not pay all tuition and fees by the appropriate date, you may lose some or all of your classes, referred to as having your classes “dropped.”

    You must pay all mandatory fees – student activity fee, technology fee and student parking fee at the same time.  Partial payments (for example, paying for one class out of several classes or only paying a fractional amount of one class) are not sufficient to hold all classes.

    Tuition and fee payments may be made online through myTyler using a credit card. Payments can also be made in person via check, cash, or credit card at the Business Office located in Room A102 in Goyne Hall in Chester or Room B115 in the Administration Building in Midlothian.

  7. Purchase your textbooks.

    Textbooks for John Tyler Community College are available at .

Some programs, such as funeral services and nursing, also require additional application materials. Refer to individual degree program information at for these requirements.


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?