skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Transfer Student Seeking a Degree or Certificate

Below are the steps transfer students who are interested in earning a degree or certificate need to take to get started at John Tyler.

  1. Familiarize yourself with the important dates and deadlines for admission.

  2. Apply online or pick up an Application for Admission.

  3. Review our transfer credit policies, and if you would like to request transfer credits, submit a Transfer Credit Form, along with an official transcript from each college or university you attended in the past to the Admissions and Records Office:

    John Tyler Community College
    Admissions and Records, Attn: Transcripts
    13101 Jefferson Davis Highway
    Chester, VA 23831-5316

    Please note:
    • If you are applying to the nursing or funeral services programs, you must also submit official high school transcripts to John Tyler Community College, Admissions and Records Office, Attn: Transcripts, 13101 Jefferson Davis Highway, Chester, VA 23831. Funeral services applicants must mail their official high school transcripts via the U.S. postal service. Other applicants are welcome to hand-deliver their transcripts.
    • If you previously attended a Virginia Community College System college, you do not need to submit your transcript from that college.
  4. Visit the

    Advising Center (no appointment necessary).
    During your meeting, your counselor will determine if you need to take any placement tests, talk about Tyler's majors and requirements, officially declare your major if all transcripts have been received, assign you an academic advisor, and help you register for classes using myTyler.

  5. If necessary, schedule your placement tests.

    Generally, transfer students who previously completed college-level English and mathematics courses with a grade of “C” or better, do not need to take placement tests. However, your counselor will help you determine if you need to take any placement test to get started at John Tyler.

    Eligible SAT or ACT scores may also be used for placement purposes. You can find out more about testing requirements as well as testing dates and times on our Testing Centers page.

  6. Apply for financial aid.

    If you are applying for financial aid, fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. Meeting the deadlines established by the Financial Aid Office at John Tyler will help ensure that you will be considered for the maximum amount of aid and that your funding will be in place in a timely manner.

  7. Pay your tuition and fees.

    John Tyler Community College does not generate bills for tuition and fees.  It is your responsibility to make sure you pay your tuition and fees by the deadlines listed at If you do not pay all tuition and fees by the appropriate date, you may lose some or all of your classes, referred to as having your classes “dropped.”

    You must pay all mandatory fees – student activity fee, technology fee and student parking fee at the same time. Partial payments (for example, paying for one class out of several classes or only paying a fractional amount of one class) are not sufficient to hold all classes.

  8. Tuition and fee payments may be made online through myTyler using a credit card. Payments can also be made in person via check, cash, or credit card at the Business Office located in Room A102 in Goyne Hall in Chester or Room B115 in the Administration Building in Midlothian.

  9. Purchase your textbooks.

    Textbooks for John Tyler Community College are available at 

Special Program Application Information
Funeral Services


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?