The John Tyler Community College Foundation offers 150+ scholarship opportunities exclusively for Tyler students. Some scholarships are general while others are for specific majors, for students who live in a particular locality, or for students demonstrating financial need.
The scholarship application for the 2019-2020 academic year will open February 1, 2019.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for a JTCC Foundation Scholarship, at a minimum, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements by the application deadline:
- Fall College Enrollment - Plan to attend JTCC during the upcoming academic year, or at least the fall semester.
- GPA - Have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Degree- or Certificate-Seeking - Applicants must be enrolled in an eligible certificate and/or degree program. See steps for admission.
- Residency - Applicants must be Virginia residents and have in-state tuition status.
What information and materials do I need in order to apply?
The JTCC Foundation Scholarship application requires information from several sources. These include:
- The Application - The application is an online form that must be completed. It requires information on the applicant's academics, leadership, and service to others.
- The Recommendations - The application is not considered complete until a minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation are received through the online application. It is strongly suggested that the recommendations are completed by a current teacher, guidance counselor, work supervisor, or another professional who can speak to your academic aptitude. The applicant requests these recommendations from within the application form. The online system will send an invitation by email to the selected individuals. Applicants are encouraged to directly request the recommendation well before the application deadline and to confirm that the recommendations have been successfully received.
- The Transcripts - High school and home-schooled students must submit official transcripts in order for GPA to be verified.
- The FAFSA - Applicants must have completed the most current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) indicating JTCC School Code (#004004). A new FAFSA is required for each academic year. Please visit www.FAFSA.ed.gov for more information.
When do I apply?
The JTCC Foundation Scholarship application opens on February 1. The deadline for the JTCC International Studies Scholarship is March 15, and the deadline for all other JTCC Foundation Scholarships is April 15. If the deadline falls on a weekend, then the following Monday at 5:00 p.m. will serve as the deadline. The applications are reviewed by an independent committee, and final notifications are made on/before August 1.
How do I apply?
Access to the online application will be available in mid January. During the application period, instructions and the link to the online application portal will be available on this page.
Mandatory scholar events
Scholarship recipients are required to attend two events during the academic year to connect with each other and their donors. Dates, times, and locations will be shared with invitees:
- Scholarship celebration luncheon
- Mid-year checkpoint events