The John Tyler Community College Foundation offers scholarship opportunities exclusively for Tyler students. Some scholarships are general while others are for specific majors, for students who live in a particular locality, or for students demonstrating financial need.
When can I apply?
2020-2021 Application Opens
Study Abroad Foundation Scholarship: March 16
Additional Foundation Scholarships: April 15
How do I apply?
The online application, powered by AwardSpring, opens on February 1.
Who is eligible?
Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Fall Registration: applicants must plan to attend Tyler during the fall 2020 semester.
- GPA: applicants must maintain a 2.5 minimum grade point average (GPA)
- Degree or Certificate-Seeking: applicants must be enrolled in an eligible certificate and/or degree program. To remain eligible, applicants must declare a major by the fall semester of the upcoming academic year.
- Residency: applicants must have in-state tuition status.
What do I need in order to apply?
Applicants are required to submit information from the following sources:
- Application: applicants must complete and submit the online application by the deadline.
- Essays: applicants are required to submit two personally written essays in their application. We encourage applicants to seek assistance with writing and proof reading; Tyler's Academic Resource Center can help.
- Recommendations: The Foundation must receive at least one letter of recommendation through the online application. We suggest recommendations be completed by a teacher, guidance counselor, work supervisor or another professional who can speak to your academic aptitude. The applicant requests these recommendations from within the application. The online system will send an invitation by email to the selected individuals. Applicants are encouraged to request the recommendation well before the application deadline and to confirm receipt of their letter(s) of recommendation.
- Transcripts: High school students, home-schooled students and college transfer students must submit official transcripts by the application deadline in order for the Foundation to verify GPA. Current Tyler students do not need to submit transcripts.
Mandatory Scholar Events
Scholarship recipients are notified by August 1. Recipients are required to attend the following two events during the academic year:
- Scholarship celebration luncheon
- Mid-year checkpoint events
These events are designed to help scholarship recipients connect with each other and their scholarship donors. If a student does not attend these events, they may lose eligibility for their Foundation scholarship award.