Center for Teaching and Learning
The Center for Teaching and Learning at John Tyler Community College promotes student success and a culture of excellence through professional faculty development. The Center is a place where College faculty and staff work in a collaborative environment to create rich, engaged teaching and learning experiences.
The Center endeavors to support dialogue, scholarship, innovation, and professional growth by inviting individuals to become members of an intellectually diverse, active learning community and is a gathering place for members of the faculty to share ideas and approaches with their colleagues and reflect on presentations of best practices in college instruction.
- Faculty Engagement: Increase faculty engagement in their professional development, assessment practices, and research through ongoing programming for new and returning faculty;
- Faculty Development: Increase exposure to the scholarship of teaching and learning, including offering faculty development workshops and promoting research-based best teaching practices;
- Quality Course Design/eLearning: Improve student success in online courses through quality course design practices and eLearning tools for engaged teaching and learning;
- Innovation: Improve professional practice by exploring proven and innovative practices, including the integration of technology and service-learning;
- Diversity & Equity: Support and encourage faculty use of best practices in the teaching and learning of underserved or marginalized students, including the consideration of diversity and equity in course design, curriculum development, and assessment strategies; and
- Community: Foster a sense of community among faculty and promote a culture of commitment to student learning, professional development, collaboration, and collegiality.
The Center Locations & Hours:
Midlothian Campus: T201, Monday - Friday 8 AM – 5 PM
Chester Campus: M110C, Monday and Thursday 8 AM – 5 PM
Gabriel Scala, firstname.lastname@example.org | 804-897-4183
Coordinator of the Center for Teaching and Learning
Tyra Goodwin, email@example.com | 804-594-1592
Professional Development Coordinator and Instructional Designer
Ryan Peloquin, firstname.lastname@example.org | 804-378-1242
eLearning Specialist and Canvas Administrator
Get More Information:
Center for Teaching and LearningMidlothian Campus: T-Building, Suite 201
Chester Campus: Moyer 110C