Parking Rules and Regulations
For the Fall 2020 Semester:
The college will not issue student parking decals for the Fall 2020 semester. College Security will not issue citations for vehicles parked on Tyler’s campuses unless those vehicles are improperly parked in ADA spaces, fire lanes, loading zones, or no parking/prohibited parking zones or are double parked or blocking entryways and exits.
At Tyler, we strive to create a warm, welcoming and safe environment for all. To ensure the safety and comfort of those who come to our campuses, the college implemented the following parking rules and regulations.
- The college provides designated accessible parking spaces within all parking areas on campus. Only vehicles with appropriate parking permits and plates are allowed to use spaces.
- Parking is not permitted in:
- In any area not designated as parking, including driveways; exits and entrances; and grassy areas within or outside of parking lots.
- Campus areas marked with yellow paint.
- Loading dock/areas unless actively loading and unloading vehicles. Vehicles must be moved immediately after loading or unloading.
- As a courtesy to other drivers, vehicles are not permitted to occupy two parking spaces.
- For Tyler faculty and staff: It is the vehicle operator’s responsibility to ensure that a current Tyler parking decal is properly displayed on their vehicle.
Failure to follow the college’s parking rules, regulations and traffic signs may result in a vehicle being ticketed or towed at the owner’s expense.
Fines for violations
- Improperly parking in a designated accessible parking space: $75.00
- Parking in a loading zone: $15.00
- Improper parking: $10.00
- Parking in fire lanes: $25.00
- Parking in a designated faculty/staff space without an employee decal: $10.00
- Double parking: $10.00
- Parking in a visitor space: $10.00
- Parking in a designated state vehicle space: $15.00
- Parking in a no parking/prohibited parking zone: $10:00
Payment of Fines
Fines may be paid through the mail or in person at the Cashier's Office on one of Tyler’s campuses.
Send a check or money order payable to John Tyler Community College. Please make sure to include:
- Your name; address; telephone number; and employee ID or student ID (if applicable) on the check or money order. Do not mail cash.
- A $10 late fee if the citation is over fourteen (14) calendar days old.
- The original citation with your full name, address and, if applicable, your employee or student ID written in the spaces provided.
Mail your payment and requested information to:
John Tyler Community College
13101 Jefferson Davis Highway
Chester VA 23831-5316
Bring the completed citation to the cashier’s window at either of Tyler’s campuses. Payments may be made with cash, check, VISA or MasterCard.
Chester Cashier’s Window
Moyar Hall, M101a
Monday: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Midlothian Cashier’s Window
Administration Building, lobby
Monday – Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Note: Operating hours at both campuses may change due to inclement weather, holiday schedules and college activities.
Parking citations may be appealed. All appeals must be initiated within fourteen (14) calendar days from the date a ticket is issued.
To start the appeal’s process:
- Bring the completed citation to a security desk on either campus. The officer on duty will help connect you to a security manager.
- Complete and submit the appeal form provided. If you have a valid parking decal, you will need to provide the decal number and other information on the appeal form.
All appeals will be reviewed, and once a decision is made, you will be notified by mail.
Failure to pay or appeal a parking citation within fourteen (14) calendar days from date a ticket is issued will result in an additional late fee of $10 being imposed.
Students with unpaid may have their accounts placed on hold, preventing registration for classes, receipt of transcripts, and access to college services. Unpaid fines are also subject to policies of the Commonwealth of Virginia Debt Set-Off Program.