Safe Zone Mission Statement
The Tyler Safe Zone program supports the College’s vision for a success story for every student by recruiting, educating, and supporting faculty, staff, and students to become allies to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) community. Allies learn about LGBTQ issues to promote a safe and supportive environment for people who self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning. By working together, members of the LBGTQ community and allies can inspire a spirit of inclusion for all.
Ally training workshops
Workshops will be offered at least two times each semester to members of the JTCC community who are interested in learning more about supporting the LGBTQ community and are interested in learning more about becoming a Tyler Safe Zone Ally. At the end of the training, participants have the opportunity to become Tyler Safe Zone Allies by signing the Tyler Safe Zone Agreement Form. Allies are given a sticker or a button to display as a symbol of their commitment and support.
Tyler Safe Zone Agreement Form
Membership in the Tyler Safe Zone program is achieved by successful completion of the Safe Zone training program and by signing and submitting the Safe Zone agreement, which includes the following statements:
- All students and people in the campus community should be treated equally, fairly, and with respect regardless of sexual or gender identity.
- I will be supportive and affirming of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer (LGBTQ) people and their identities.
- I will actively work to increase my knowledge and understanding of sexual and gender identity issues and the needs of people who are LGBTQ.
- I will continue to monitor my own attitudes, actions, and possible biases.
- I will assist others in understanding sexual and gender identity and convey my support and dignity of LBGTQ people.
- I will do my best to confront prejudice based on sexual and gender identity.
- I will be inclusive of LGBTQ people in my language, social interactions, and professional roles.
- I will respect the privacy of individuals who contact me as a Safe Zone Ally.
- I will make referrals if I am unable to assist someone who contacts me as a Safe Zone Ally.
- I will contact Michelle Spencer (firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-594-1534) or another resource with any questions or needs I might have.
- I will remove my Safe Zone sticker from my workplace if I no longer work in that same space. I will request a new sticker if necessary.
- I understand that the Safe Zone facilitator may reserve the right to withhold the Safe Zone sticker until I have received additional training, or that I may choose not to request a sticker until I am more comfortable with the subject matter and ready to be an ally.
Please note: The Safe Zone sticker is only valid for 3 years. After those three years allies will need to recommit to the program by attending another Safe Zone Training.
For information regarding upcoming training dates email Michelle Spencer at email@example.com.
Off Campus Community Resources
A statewide, non-partisan education, outreach and advocacy organization seeking equality for LGBTQ Virginians.
A 47,000 square foot Community Center located in Richmond’s Northside for the use of Central Virginia’s LGBTQ community and supportive agencies and groups.
Side by Side – formerly ROSMY
Support, education and advocacy for LGBTQ youth 11 – 20.
SONG (Southerners on New Ground)
SONG is an LGBTQ liberation organization that looks at the intersection of identity specifically in the south. They are a national organization that has recently opened a chapter here in Virginia, based in Richmond.
Trans Health Services
Health Brigade (formerly Fan Free Clinic) provides medical and counseling services and support for the trans community.
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
The Trevor Project – a crisis line for LGBTQ youth
Trans Lifeline – a hotline for transgender people
Get More Information:
Michelle Spencer, Assistant Dean for Student Development, Deputy Title IX Coordinator