Tutoring in the ARC
The Virtual ARC is open! Get help with your summer classes!
Online Tutoring is Available!
- Drop-In Tutoring is available in the Virtual ARC via Zoom Monday through Thursday, 10:00am - 6:00pm.
- Tutoring is offered on a wide variety of subjects, including Writing, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), study skills & planning, and more!
- Use Drop-In Tutoring to have a focused session with a tutor, or keep it pulled up in the background while you study and ask questions when you get stuck.
- Make sure you are logged into your myTyler before clicking into the Zoom session.
Click into the Virtual ARC for Drop-In Tutoring:
To get help with your classes, please click into our Zoom room to ask for assistance. If you are looking for tutoring in a specalized course that we may not have full coverage for, feel free to email us to inquire at email@example.com.
After-Hours Tutoring Appointments:
Not able to come in during our Drop-In Tutoring hours? Submit a request for an After-Hours Appointment, and we'll do our best to accommodate times that work with your schedule. Appointments are subject to tutor availability and will be held via Zoom; please give us two business days to schedule your appointment. You must be logged into your myTyler account to access the request form. Requests made after 12pm on Friday will not be scheduled until the following week.
*Appointments will NOT be scheduled for Friday, June 18th as the college is closed that day. The request form will also not be available after 12pm on Thursday, June 17th.*
Online Paper Submissions:
In addition to After-Hours Appointments, you can also utilize our Online Paper Submission service for after-hours assistance. With our Online Submission service, you are able to submit your papers to us electronically for a tutor to look over; the tutor will then provide feedback to you via email. Our turnaround time for submissions is usually two business days, though this time can vary depending on volume of usage. Please fill out the form below to submit your paper to us. You must be logged into your myTyler account to access the form.
Students who need to make use of a computer on campus can visit the computer labs on both campuses. Specific information about the computer labs can be found here. For technology assistance, students can speak to live technical support through the online Help Hub here. The ARC can also help connect you with fellow students in study groups—please email or call us if you are interested in forming a study group.
If you need other assistance or accommodations for tutoring, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 804-594-1542.
Links and Directions:
- Questions? Send an email to email@example.com or call 804-594-1542.
- The ARC Instagram: Follow us here!
- Student Success Blog: Check it out here!
- The ARC YouTube channel: Find helpful videos here!
- Check out Kurzweil here! Kurzweil is an educational technology that provides text-to-speech reading assistance, comprehension support, and more.
- Having trouble signing into one of our Zoom sessions? Click here for directions to sign into Zoom with SSO; click here for directions to sign into your VCCS Zoom account.
- Need help figuring out how to use our Zoom room? Check here for a walkthrough video, and here for a Walkthrough Guide.
How to Use the ARC Online:
The ARC holds events and workshops throughout the semester to assist students with their academic journeys at Tyler, and to introduce them to the benefits of tutoring. Check here for our upcoming events.
The ARC LibGuides
The Writing Center, Math Center, and Study Skills LibGuides provide online resources for students in a veriety of subjects. The Writing Center LibGuide can assist students with essay writing basics, grammar fundamentals, style guides, and more. The Math Center LibGuide has resources for courses including mathematics, sciences, test prep, and others. The Study Skills LibGuide provides resources for time management, note-taking, test preperation, and more.
Click the links below to access the LibGuides:
Online tutoring is also available through Brainfuse. You can access Brainfuse in your Canvas: in your left-hand Canvas navigation panel, scroll to the bottom, and click “JTCC Student Resources,” and you will find the link to Brainfuse in the left-hand nevigation panel. Brainfuse offers live one-on-one online tutoring, as well as an online Writing Lab, the ability to create your own flashcards, form online study groups, and much more. Please note that usage of Brainfuse is limited to a certain number of hours, but students who run out of time in Brainfuse can always use the ARC for unlimited tutoring.
Are you looking to be a student worker at John Tyler? Apply to be a student tutor in the ARC! Student tutors are primarily required to tutor either writing or science/math courses, while also assisting with basic study and technology skills. If you have a passion for helping your peers succeed, please apply by filling out our online application below.