skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

New Student - Veteran

  1. Apply for admission to John Tyler.
  2. Apply for Federal Aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. JTCC's school code is 004004.
  3. Apply for V.A. Education Benefits:
    • After you click "submit," a pop-up confirmation message should appear. Additionally, an e-mail stating the same will be sent to the e-mail address you entered during the application process.
    • Bring a paper copy of the applicable confirmation e-mail and/or message to the JTCC MVEO on either campus or forward the confirmation e-mail to:
    • If you have used VA educational benefits at another school, you must fill out a VA Form 22-1995 "Request Change of Program/Place of Training" to change your place of study with the VA.
  4. Determine the need for placement tests, and take, if needed.
  5. Meet with an advisor in the Advising Center, and visit the Admissions and Records Office. Bring the following items:
    • Current Military Orders
    • Proof of residency (item of mail with name and local address if residing off-base)
    • Military ID Card
  6. Have your military and transfer credits evaluated.
    • Request/download a copy of your military transcript
    • Request official college/university transcripts be sent to:
      • John Tyler Community College
        Admissions and Records
        Moyar Hall, Room M101
        13101 Jefferson Davis Highway
        Chester, Virginia 23831
    • Use the Credit 2 Careers Portal to explore the possibility of earning credit for prior learning.
  7. Attend an orientation session if possible.
  8. Meet with a MVEO Counselor. Bring a copy of:
    • Your DD 214 (Member-4 copy)
    • The confirmation e-mail/message as described in step 3 above (VA Form 22-1990 or VA Form 22-1995)
    • The Certificate of Eligibility (VA mails this to you after you have applied for benefits)
  9. Select your classes and register.
  10. Pay tuition and fees no later than due date.
  11. Meet with a MVEO Counselor to get your classes "Certified" (i.e., to activate your benefits).
    • Ensure your enrollment (classes) are requirements of your degree.  To assist you in selecting classes, view your advisement report.
    • How to View Advisement Report.
    • Bring any items from step 8 that you have not brought in to your MVEO counselor
  12. Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 ONLY. Verify your enrollment monthly at W.A.V.E.  or 877-838-2278.

You MUST Inform Your JTCC MVEO Counselor (School Certifying Official) if you:

  • Change your enrollment in any manner (drop/add/withdraw)
  • Change your Program of Study

Failure to do this may result in under payment or over payment of benefits, which will cause a debt to JTCC and/or the VA.

Continuing Study/Semesters:

Only classes that apply to your program may be certified.


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?


Welcome to John Tyler Community College, where the vision is to provide “a success story for every student.” That is exactly what the Military and Veterans Education Office (MVEO) strives to do every day. Our mission is to assist our students in navigating the various VA educational benefit programs and help them to maximize their hard-earned benefits.

The MVEO staff are all veterans who understand where you have been. We strive to provide excellent and timely service so that our students, whether they are active duty, Guard or Reserve, veterans or military family members, can reach their personal, professional and educational goals.

Michael J. Murphy
Coordinator of Military and Veteran Affairs