skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Returning Student – Veteran, Active Duty or Family Member

Each term the MVEO must be informed your are enrolled in classes and you want to use your VA Educational Benefit(s).

  1. Meet with your academic advisor.
  2. Apply for federal aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. JTCC's school code is 004004.
  3. Select your classes and register. Remember, the VA only pays for classes that apply to your program of study.  To assist you in selecting classes, visit how to view your advisement report.
  4. Meet with a MVEO Counselor to get your classes “Certified” (i.e., to activate your benefits).

    Or, request certification through the Enrollment Certification Request Form.

  5. Pay any tuition and fees not covered (paid for) through VA benefits or financial aid by the payment deadline listed on Payment options:
    • Tuition Assistance
    • Financial Aid
    • Chapter 30: MGIB
    • Chapter 33 (Transfer of Entitlement for Post 9/11 GI Bill): Certificate of Eligibility
    • Chapter 35: Financial Aid payment, or any of the options that follow:
    • Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program (VMSDEP) Approval Letter
    • Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
    • MyCAA (Career Advancement Account)
    • Automatic Payment
    • Cash and/or Credit Card

    VMSDEP (War Orphan) recipients should bring a copy of their approval letter to the Financial Services Office prior to each term.

  6. Chapters 30, 1606, and 1607 only, MUST verify your enrollment monthly at W.A.V.E. or 877-838-2278.
  7. VocRehab - Chapter 31 Veterans must provide a VA FORM 28-1905 from your Vocational Rehabilitation Case Manager for current term as per guidance from your Case Manager.
  8. Students having attended and used their VA Benefits at another school, must submit a “Change of Program/Place of Training” Form (VA FORM 22-5495 for Ch. 35- DEA) OR (VA FORM 22-1995- all other chapters).

Remember, you MUST inform your JTCC MVEO Counselor (School Certifying Official) if you:

  • Change your enrollment in any manner (drop/add/withdraw)
  • Change your program of study

Failure to do this may result in under payment or over payment of benefits, which will cause a debt to JTCC and/or the VA.


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?


Welcome to John Tyler Community College, where the vision is to provide “a success story for every student.” That is exactly what the Military and Veterans Education Office (MVEO) strives to do every day. Our mission is to assist our students in navigating the various VA educational benefit programs and help them to maximize their hard-earned benefits.

The MVEO staff are all veterans who understand where you have been. We strive to provide excellent and timely service so that our students, whether they are active duty, Guard or Reserve, veterans or military family members, can reach their personal, professional and educational goals.

Michael J. Murphy
Coordinator of Military and Veteran Affairs