Credit for Prior Military Experiences or College
John Tyler encourages all military students to have previous schooling and life experiences evaluated for credit toward their John Tyler education.
Military Experience and Training Credits
JTCC will evaluate your military experience and training, and award credit where applicable. To have your experience and training credits evaluated, submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST) to John Tyler’s Admission and Records Office.
The JST is issued to Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy personnel to document their military training and experience. Those military-related students who have attended basic training may receive PED credit toward your degree requirements. Request your military JST.
Typical information found on a JST includes:
- All military experience and service schools.
- American Council on Education (ACE) college credit recommendations for evaluated military training and experience.
- Course work completed at colleges and universities paid for with military tuition assistance.
- College-level test scores (CLEP, AP, DANTES, etc.) paid for with military tuition assistance.
- Earned certificates, licenses, and apprenticeships.
Students affiliated with the United States Air Force, request your military transcript through the Air Force Transcript Portal.
Prior College Credits
Learn more about transferring prior college credits to JTCC.
To have prior credits evaluated, bring official transcripts from your previous college(s) to the Admissions and Records Office, or have your transcripts sent to JTCC for evaluation.
Get More Information:
Military & Veterans Education Office
This institution is approved to offer GI Bill® educational benefits by the Virginia State Approving Agency.