skip to content

It looks like you're using an older version of Internet Explorer. For the best experience with, you’ll need to update your browser to the latest version.

Veterans Benefits

Understanding YOUR veterans benefits is important. With them, you may be able to attend college with no out-of-pocket costs.

There are many things to consider before you apply for a GI Bill program. Please read this information very carefully before electing a benefit. Post 9/11 is irrevocable once chosen. For most participants, the Post-9/11 GI Bill is the best option. Other students would benefit more from the Montgomery GI Bill.

Select an option to view the details.

Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) MGIB- AD

This chapter of education benefits apply to two groups based on their active duty service:

  • Individuals entering military service on or after July 1, 1985, who have had their basic military pay reduced by $100 a month for the first 12 months of their service and received a discharge specifically listed as "Honorable," are eligible.
  • Individuals eligible for the Old GI Bill (Chapter 34) as of December 31, 1989, who meet certain eligibility requirements and persons separated from active duty due to a service-connected disability or hardship discharge may also be eligible.

Participants must have received their high school diploma or GED before or during the qualifying period. In most cases, eligibility expires 10 years after the date of last discharge or release from active duty.

Fact Sheet
Apply Now

Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VocRehab) program is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. VocRehab helps service members and veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for, find, and maintain suitable careers.

The VocRehab program requires a rehabilitation plan: a written, detailed outline of services provided under the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment program. It may include a description of services such as reemployment with a previous employer, rapid access to employment, self-employment, on-the-job training, or independent living services. This plan is administered through a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC). A VRC is a rehabilitation professional who provides or coordinates a wide range of rehabilitation services that might include counseling, training, rehabilitation, and employment services.

Fact Sheet
Apply Now

Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You MUST have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following the date you were released from active duty.

Some benefits of the Post-9/11 GI Bill include:

  • Payment of full tuition and fees, dependent on your eligibility tier
  • A monthly housing allowance (MHA)
  • An annual books and supplies stipend

Fact Sheet
Apply Now

Transferring Your Benefits

The Post-9/11 GI Bill also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits to family members (dependents). Learn more about submitting a transfer request.

To transfer benefits:

Children AND spouses of a member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001, may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship Program.

Transferring Benefits from Another College

If you have used your Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits at another college or university, you must transfer your educational benefits to John Tyler:

Post 9/11 Process

Certification of Enrollment

Once your application has been processed and approved, the VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Provide a copy of your COE to your MVEO Counselor (Certifying Official) for our records. The COE allows JTCC to place a “hold” on your account, so you can register for classes and not be dropped from the system due to non-payment of tuition and fees.

Giving your COE to the MVEO prevents you from having to paying up front what the VA has agreed to pay. If you haven’t received your COE, the following documents must be provided to the MVEO for VA enrollment certification (activation of your VA benefits):

VA Payment of Tuition and Fees
  • VA only pays in-state rates for tuition and fees.
  • Tuition and fees are certified to the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs once financial aid has been posted to your account each semester.
  • Approximately 30 to 45 days later, the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs processes your eligible amount of tuition and fees and pays it directly to John Tyler.
  • If your VA benefits do not cover all your tuition and fees, you are responsible for paying the remaining amount to John Tyler by the deadline outlined on
  • Your MVEO Counselor will not place a “hold” on your account without a copy of your COE on file. Without the COE, students receiving VA benefits must pay all tuition/fees and billed expenses to the College as indicated above.
  • When payment is received from the VA, it will be credited to your account, and refunds, if any, will be processed by the Business Office.
  • Once the College has received payment form the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, you’ll pending refund will be reflected in the Student Information Center in myTyler.
Monthly Housing Allowance and Book Stipend
  • The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs pays Monthly Housing Allowances (MHA or BAH) and book stipends directly to eligible students.
  • As of October 1, 2011, MHA will pay students enrolled solely in online/distance education courses. However, the payment will be one-half (1/2) the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents. Active duty personnel will remain ineligible for MHA.
  • MHA is paid on or after the first of the month following the month for which payment is due.
  • Active duty personnel qualify for the book stipend ONLY.
  • The payment that the Department of Veteran Affairs sends directly to John Tyler covers tuition and fees only.
Montgomery G. I. Bill Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1606)

Individuals who have agreed to serve six years in the selected reserve, on or after July 1, 1985, reenlisted or extended an enlistment for a period of at least six years may be eligible. You must have completed the initial active duty for training (IADT) and meet the requirements to receive a high school diploma or equivalent certificate before you complete the IADT.

Fact Sheet
Apply Now

Reserve Education Assistance Program

Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR), and National Guard, who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.

The Department of Defense (DOD) or Department of Homeland Security (DHS) determines eligibility, as appropriate. Generally, a member of a Reserve component who serves on active duty on or after September, 11 2001, for at least 90 consecutive days under a contingency operation, is eligible for REAP.

There is no specific timeframe to use REAP, however, your eligibility generally ends when you leave the Selected Reserves.

National Guard members are eligible if their active service extends for 90 consecutive days or more and their service is:

  • authorized under section 502(f), title 32, U.S. Code,
  • authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency, and supported by federal funds

The educational assistance allowance payable under REAP is a percentage of the Montgomery G. I. Bill-Active Duty (MGIB) rate based on the number of the continuous days served on active duty.

  • Persons released before 90 days due to an injury, illness, or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty receive the 40% rate.
  • Members who serve 90 days but less than 1 year will receive 40% of the MGIB 3 year rate.
  • Members who serve 1 year but less than 2 years will receive 60% of the MGIB 3 year rate.
  • Members who serve 2 or more continuous years will receive 80% of the MGIB 3 year rate.

Fact Sheet
Apply Now

Request Your Military Records

There are two ways to request your Military Records (DD214):


These checklists will help you maximize your VA educational benefits while enrolled at John Tyler:

New Student Checklist
Returning Student Checklist


myTyler Login

Need help with myTyler?


Welcome to John Tyler Community College, where the vision is to provide “a success story for every student.” That is exactly what the Military and Veterans Education Office (MVEO) strives to do every day. Our mission is to assist our students in navigating the various VA educational benefit programs and help them to maximize their hard-earned benefits.

The MVEO staff are all veterans who understand where you have been. We strive to provide excellent and timely service so that our students, whether they are active duty, Guard or Reserve, veterans or military family members, can reach their personal, professional and educational goals.

Michael J. Murphy
Coordinator of Military and Veteran Affairs